About the Department
The aim of teaching the Undergraduate students in Dermatology, S.T.D. and Leprosy is to impart such knowledge and skills that may enable him to diagnose and treat common ailments and to refer rare diseases or complications and unusual manifestations of common diseases to the specialist.
Dermatology including Venereology (STD) and Leprology is one of the important basic clinical specialty. Considerable advances have taken place in the understanding of dermatological disorders and their treatment. Leprosy is still a public health problem of considerable magnitude in the country. The STDs are showing worldwide increase in incidence with new dimensions added to it.
There is a dearth of trained personnel in the specialty. Very few medical colleges in the country Impart sufficient knowledge about these diseases at Undergraduate level and Postgraduate courses are not available in all medical colleges. The curriculum of MD Dermatology has been made designed matching the other Clinical specialties at the Institute. An attempt has been made to give a comprehensive training to the postgraduates including basic subjects and recent advances.
At the end of the course of Dermatology, Sexually Transmitted Diseases & Leprosy the student shall be able to
- Demonstrate sound knowledge of common diseases, their clinical manifestations including emergent situations and of investigative procedures to confirm their diagnosis.
- Demonstrate comparative knowledge of various modes of topical therapy.
- Demonstrate the mode of action of commonly used drugs, their doses, side effects / toxicity, indications and contraindication & interactions.
- Describe commonly used modes of management including the medical &Surgical procedures available for the treatment of various diseases and to offer a comparative plan of management for a given disorder.
At the end of this training a candidate should be able to
- Diagnose and manage independently common skin diseases, sexually transmitted diseases and leprosy.
- Manage independently and efficiently all medical emergencies related with skin, leprosy and venereal disease.
- Adopt preventive measures at individual and community levels against communicable skin, venereal diseases and leprosy.
- Teach requisite knowledge and laboratory skills to other medical / paramedical team members.
- Adopt a compassionate attitude toward towards the patients (and their families) under his/ her charge.
- Critically evaluate and initiate investigation for solving problems relating to skin, venereal diseases and leprosy.
The student shall be able to
- Interview the patient, elicit relevant and correct information and describe the history in a chronological order
- Conduct clinical examination, elicit and interpret physical findings and diagnose common disorders and emergencies.
- Perform simple, routine investigative and laboratory procedures required for making the bed-side diagnosis, especially the examination of scrapings for fungus, preparation of slit smears and staining for AFB for leprosy patients and for STD cases
- Take a skin biopsy for diagnostic purposes
- Manage common diseases recognizing the need for referral for specialized care, in case of inappropriateness of therapeutic response. Structures and functions of Skin and its appendages Pruritus Infections (Bacterial, Chlamidia, Mycoplasma, Fungal & Viral) Infestations (Ecto and Endoparasites) Nutritional disorders Allergic Disorders Leprosy STD HIV & Skin Papulesquamous disorders Collagen Vascular Disorders Pigmentory disorder Drug reactions.
- History taking for dermatology, venereology and leprosy
- Describe cutaneous findings in dermatological terms in a systematic way.
- Evaluate and manage the common diseases in dermatology and have a broad idea how to approach an uncommon diseases.
- Evaluate and manage STD cases
- Evaluate and manage HIV positive cases
- Systemic examination relevant for dermatologic condition
- Maintain basic skills like pulse, blood pressure chest and cardiac auscultation learnt in MBBS
- Care of dermatologic emergencies like TEN, Pemphigus, necrotic ENL, angioedema, drug reactionsetc.
- Management of pediatric cases with skin diseases
- To achieve adequate skills for tests done in side laboratory in day-to-day practice and be familiar with other sophisticated investigations.