DR. CHHETRI TEJ BAHADUR (M.D., FSM)
Welcome to department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology.
I, Dr. Tej B. Chhetri , Head, Department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, joined this institution on 01/11/2019. I previously worked in three different medical colleges, in different state Universities after working for 21 years as Sr. medico – legal Consultant cum Addl. Director, Govt. of Sikkim, India.
Currently, our department has four teaching and non-teaching staff including Dr. Anupam Pathak (Tutor). 120 students are enrolled for II MBBS and we have one lecture class a week and practical classes twice a week.
Our Aim is:
- To provide leadership in medical education, Research and contribute to humane and cost effective medico-legal endeavors.
- To be recognized as excellence in medico-legal education and to deliver next generation forensic medicine services to the society.
- To provide integrated training programs to the Doctors, police, judicial officers and forensic scientists.
- To produce a breed of globally competent medical professionals who are passionate sincere and guided by ethics having in them a strong urge to serve humanity.
- To ensure to meet the National Objective of skills in all related matters, being sensitive to ethical/ moral duties.
- To train the students to handle the MLC cases with skill and enable them to draw conclusions from autopsy work, treating Poisoning Cases & managing Clinical Forensic Medicine tasks
About the Department
- Forensic Medicine continues to provide an unblemished service for:
- Academic and
- Medico- legal service.
- Didactic classes for under graduate MBBS students.
- Basic training in the entire Medico- legal work and inculcating the importance of medical ethics and unethical practices for UG students, interns and Para medical students.
- Regular assessment of the performances of the students both in theory and practicals.
At the end of the course students will be able to:
- Interpret the Medico- legal reports and assess injuries.
- Estimate age through various means.
- Assess the weapon analysis reports.
- Demonstrate the examination of a rape victim and rape accused.
- Describe how to conduct an autopsy and write a report – through visit to autopsy centre.