Goals & Objectives:
- He/ she shall acquire an understanding of anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology of the reproductive system and gain the ability to optimally manage common conditions affecting it.
- At the end of the course, the student shall be able to:
- Detect normal pregnancy, labour, puerperium and manage the problems he/she is likely to encounter therein.
- List the leading causes of maternal perinatal morbidity and mortality.
- Understand the principles of contraception and various techniques employed, methods of medical termination of pregnancy, sterilization and their complication.
- Identify the use, abuse and side effects of drugs in pregnancy, premenopausal and postmenopausal periods.
- Describe the national programme of maternal and child health and family welfare and their implementation at various levels.
- Identify common gynaecological diseases and describe principles of their management.
- State the indications, techniques, complications of surgeries like caesarean sections, laparotomy, abdominal and vaginal hysterectomy, Fothergill’s operation and vacuum aspiration for Medical termination of pregnancy.
Goals & Objectives:
- To provide quality care to the community in the diagnosis and management of antenatal, intranatal and postnatal period of normal and abnormal pregnancy and labour.
- Provide effective and adequate care to a pregnant woman with a complicated pregnancy.
- Provide effective and adequate care to normal and high-risk neonate.
- Perform obstetrical ultrasound in normal and abnormal pregnancy including Doppler.
- Manage effectively all obstetrical and gynaecological emergencies and if necessary conduct a comprehensive evaluation of infertile couple and have a broad-based knowledge of assisted reproductive techniques including ovulation induction, in-vitro fertilization and intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection, gamete donation, surrogacy and legal and ethical implications of these procedures.
- Provide counselling and delivery of fertility regulation methods including reversible and irreversible contraception and emergency contraception.
- Provide quality care to women having spontaneous abortion or requesting for medical termination of pregnancy and manage their complication.