The broad goal of the teaching of undergraduate students in Microbiology is to provide an understanding of the natural history of infectious disease in order to deal with the etiology, pathogenesis, laboratory diagnosis, treatment and control of infections in the community and hospital set up.
The undergraduate learner should be able to:
- Understand role of microbial agents in health and disease,
- Understand the immunological mechanisms in health and disease,
- Correlate the natural history, mechanisms and clinical manifestations of infectious diseases as they relate to the properties of microbial agents,
- Explain the principles and application of infection control measures,
- Understand the basis of choice of laboratory diagnostic tests and their interpretation.