1)Poster & model making competition for 1st MBBS students Objectives We have started this poster & making competition for 1st MBBS students with the objective- To increase active learning in students, to increase their participation in learning physiology by peer learning &interaction, to increase their creativity & presentation skills, to enhance deep learning by creating posters & models on topics discussed in the classroom.
Initially, very few students volunteered for the competition so to increase student involvement we formed a group of 10 students and asked them to decide on a topic & present a poster or model. Guidance was provided by faculty as facilitators. The students then actively started brainstorming & came up with a variety of ideas and the event was highly appreciated by all faculty & students. These posters & models are added to the departmental museum.
The students have prepared posters & working models of physiological processes with cheap & easily available materials. The cost was minimal. The active participation & group activity helps the students to work as a team which is essential in the medical fraternity. The peer learning and creativity inculcated in students will help them in future to work at all level yet provide quality outcomes.
Evidence of success
The competition has been a huge success as in 2019 we conducted a state-level competition where 50 students from other colleges participated & appreciated this way of learning.
Problems encountered & resources required
Initial challenge was student participation which was soon overcome as they got
2) Undergraduate students are trained for a comprehensive understanding of basic& applied physiology.
All faculties are well trained in medical education technology & implement various participatory and interactive teaching techniques in regular classroom teaching. Project-based learning is encouraged. Student support & progression is ensured by constant motivation by faculty. Even in the pandemic due to Covid-19, we continue to connect to our students through various online teaching platforms. Students are trained in research methodology & guided for research in basic sciences which are funded by ICMR.
3) Department of Physiology contributes to society by various outreach activities for well being of different groups such as training of police personnel, nurses and the general population. Department has trained people for disaster preparedness and Sanjivani-basic life support skills training for Kumbhmela in Nashik & Ujjain. Health education is imparted to adolescent school children.
4) Diagnostic services are offered as neurophysiological investigations such as NCV, EMG, VEP, BERA, etc. Autonomic function lab & respiratory function lab are utilized by staff & students research activities.
5) Yoga lab ensures the students’ well being& physiology learning in homeostasis as a whole is encouraged.
6) Department of Physiology continuously encourages students for analytical and experiential learning. The department has conducted poster and model making competition for UG students from all over Maharashtra in 2019. We have started poster competition for first M.B.B.S. Students in 2016-2017 and continued thereafter. The students voluntarily choose and make innovative posters and working models encouraging peer learning, analytical skills, out-of-the-box thinking and this enhances their creativity.
7) For overall development of students’ faculty of the department are actively involved in institutional club “VPMC Art circle” .